轻松英语|读《威廉·莎士比亚》双语小说初级连载-13

13
‘Yes, he is,’ said Will. ‘But I think Essex is a dangerous man Henry needs better friends than him.’
“他的确是这样的人,”威尔说道,“但我认为爱塞克斯是个危险的人物,亨利需要结交比他更好的朋友。”
‘Henry, eh?’I said, surprised. ‘My word! Do you really call him Henry? Not Lord Southampton?’
“哦,亨利?”我诧异地说道。“真没想到!你真的叫他亨利吗?而不是叫索桑普敦伯爵。”
‘Only when other people aren’t there.’ Will laughed.

“只有别人不在时才叫的。”威尔笑了起来。
‘I’m still just an actor from Stratford, Toby. Not very important. Let’ go and have a drink at the Boar’s Head on our way home.’
“托比,毕竟我还只是从斯特拉福镇来的一个演员而已,无足轻重。我们回去吧,顺便到公猪酒吧喝一杯。”
Will was always like that. Quiet, never shouting about himself to the world.
威尔这人就是这样,处世稳重,从不对世人标榜自己。
In the Boar’s Head, we met some friends and started talking.

在公猪酒吧我们遇见几位朋友,便开始高谈阔论起来。
The talk was all about the plague, which was coming back again into London.
话题都是关于伦敦这次卷土重来的瘟疫。
‘Have you heard the latest news?’ Said one man. ‘They say that more than thirty people are dying every week now.’
“你是否听说了最新消息?”有人说道,“他们说,现在每星期都30多人频繁死亡的危险。”
‘And the City Council,’ said another man, wants to close all the theatres.

“还听说市政参议会,”又有人说道,“准备关闭所有剧院。
They always do that when the plague comes to London. There’ll be no work for any of us actors.’
每回伦敦流行瘟疫他们都这么做。玩吗这些演员要失业了。”
‘But the players can go on tour, surely?’ said Will.
“但是我们可以巡回演出吗?”威尔建议道。
‘Yes,’ said the first man. ‘But it’s a hard life. Different town, a different inn, a different play, every night. I think I’ll stay in London.’

“这主意不错,”第一个开口的人说道,“但生活太苦。我们每晚要颠沛辗转,不同的村庄,不同的旅社,不同的剧目,与其过这种生活,倒不如呆在伦敦。”
The plague is terrible in any place, but it was worst in London.
其实,各地瘟疫都很严重,只不过伦敦尤其厉害。
未完待续、
唐三强㢨×比比东的小说